From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:22:05 -0600
I always have trouble with these polls.  I can think of too many pieces
that ought to be on.  The choices so far certainly made my nominating
list, but one that hasn't is Gubaidulina's Offertorium, a piece for
violin and orchestra that tears apart the "kingly theme" of Bach's Musical
Offering.  The method is rather mechanical, but Gubaidulina manages to
make beautiful music out of it, particularly the ending, which moves me
like Mussorgsky's death of Boris Godunov.

But there are works by Lees, Carter, Rosner, Adams, Dankner, and others
that I believe deserve someone's nomination.

Steve Schwartz