From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 14:01:18 PST
In the past, I've offered my views on the strategy of folks like Peter
Gelb to essentially redefine classical music in order to increase business
profits.  I was aware of the series of Chopin and Chopin-related music on
Opus 111.  Then, I read the Editorial in the December issue of Classic CD
- an excerpt:

   "And in a touch of programming genius two discs are devoted to jazz
   and contemporary improvisations of Chopin works...  This is a brilliant
   example of a record company looking not only to its back catalogue
   and to making the most of its stable of existing artists but looking
   at new perspectives, avoiding the museum ghetto-ising of classical
   music in favour of a modern context."

Those are the types of comments, sentiments, and goals that lead me
to believe that there is a serious attempt to redefine the classical
music landscape.  I also don't mind saying that I think poorly of it.
Further, I notice that these attempts are now connected to terms such as
"programming genius" and "brilliant example" to convey the notion that the
best people are going in this direction.  Does any of this remind you of
the Fountainhead?

Don Satz