From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 09:59:44 +1100
As one who remains unconvinced by all the end of the century/millennium
hype, I plan to celebrate both at the end of 2000.  Nevertheless, it
seemed that my final listening session of the 90s should finish with some
monumental piece and it took little thought to decide on Beethoven's 9th.

This masterpiece continues to provide new little nuggets of pleasure,
maybe a little horn phrase or an accompanying pizzicato, but something
that I haven't noticed before:  there's just so *much* happening.  There
Are other works that I've heard once too often that might get an airing
once a year, but the 9th is ever fresh, ever moving.  I have a fantasy
that a company of elves comes during the night after I've played one of
my versions of it, and spirits the CDs away to a sound engineer who has
access to many takes of the performances I have and substitutes one of
these so that the next time I hear it, I'll hear something new.  I suspect
that when the century really does end, I'll make the same choice.

Richard Pennycuick