From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 23:15:28 PST
Philip Peters responds to Renato Vinicius:

>>Is the series of Jeno Jando - who I never heard - performing of
>>Beethoven's sonatas, reaaly good or just cheap.
>
>Just cheap.  He is a totally unimaginative pianist.

That's putting the nail in the coffin.  I think that Jando does much
better with Bach (WTC) than with Beethoven.  Jando has trouble with
Beethoven's anger and volatile mood changes; Bach's music is a lot
smoother.  And Jando brings out much of the emotional foundation Bach
provides.

The other pianists Renato mentioned (Arrau, Gilels, Kempff, Brendel, and
Richter) play Beethoven much better than Jando.  That's because each is
among the best in Beethoven.  This is about the toughest competitive
repertoire there is when you also add Schnabel, Solomon, Pollini, Annie
Fisher, and Ashkenazy.

Don Satz