From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 15:23:32 -0700
Charles L. L. Dalmas wrote:

>I'm thinking Horenstein.  I have his Titan on Nonesuch LP (mint, as well),
>and it's the best by far that I've heard.

Horenstein's recording of Mahler's First Symphony on Unicorn (Nonesuch
in the US) is certainly one of the greats.  Permit me a small point.  The
title "Titan" was dropped by Mahler after he submitted his First Symphony
to fundamental revision.  Record companies and concert promoters love their
titles but Mahler's First should never be called "Titan" in its usually
played version.  The same applies to all of Mahler's Symphonies, by the
way.  None of them were ever given titles by their composer.

>Also, in response to Furtwaengler as "The" Bruckner conductor, I would
>have to agree, but with Karajan in the same league.

I agree Furtwangler is one of the great Bruckner conductors though I have
never quite taken to it personally.  Karajan was a fine Bruckner conductor
but no greater, IMO, than Horenstein, Wand, Walter, Schuricht or Klemperer.

Tony Duggan,  England.
My (developing) Mahler recordings survey is at:
http://www.musicweb.force9.co.uk/music/Mahler/Mahler1.htm