From:
"Norman M. Schwartz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 06:31:23 -0500
Richard Pennycuick writes:

>The overture you want is Jubel, which is not very often recorded.  It
>appears on:
>
>EMI CDM7695722 (Philharmonia, conducted by Wolfgang Sawallisch)
>Chandos CHAN 9066 (Philharmonia conducted by Neeme Jarvi)
>
>You might also be interested in Naxos 8.553308 which contains very
>enjoyable arrangements of ten Weber overtures for piano four hands.

The overture is also contained on Capriccio 10 052, along with 6 other
overtures by CMvW performed by Staatskapelle Dresden/Gustav Kuhn.  It was
a relatively early disc in my collection (1985), but is still in print
according to Tower's website.  The program notes identify the tune as
"God save the KING" and the jubilant overture having been composed for
the fiftieth anniversary of the reign of his king, Friedrich August I.  I
assume Weber's "Jubilee" Overture is one and the same and it can be found
on CD from Berlin Classics, 0093832, along with other Weber overtures all
performed by Staatskappelle Berlin/Suitner available from the Berkshire
Record Outlet for $5.99.

Norman Schwartz