From:
Michael Stein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 11:38:37 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

>Sony recently released a disc of the Shostakovich piano concertos performed
>by Bronfman and Salonen (LA Philharmonic).  Also, the disc has the piano
>quintet from Bronfman and the Julliard String Quartet.

A special experience is in store if you can find the Vanguard reissue of
the Piano Quintet with Shostakovich and the Beethoven Quartet, the ensemble
which premiered a good number of his quartets.  Shostakovich's way with his
part in the third of the five movements is unique.  Although I have read
that he was not considered an outstanding pianist, he recorded both of his
piano concertos with Andre Cluytens.  I particularly enjoyed the second of
these.

Michael Stein