From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 13:11:58 +1000
No, not the label, but the word, as in Op 14 bis.  I haven't been able
to track down any reference to this, but by finding a few examples of its
use, I've made the assumption that it occurs when it shares the same opus
number as another work, as in Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique and Lelio.
In other cases, two works might be known as, say, Shostakovich's Op 22, The
Age of Gold and Op 22a, the suite from The Age of Gold (which, it should be
noted, is about the exploits of a touring Russian soccer team).  However,
Prokofiev's opus numbers in such instances use "bis".  Is this the practice
only for French music publishers, or is there some other significance to
it?

Richard Pennycuick, who will probably go to his grave without
understanding the offside rule