From:
Gerhard Griesel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2007 15:33:50 -0800
Kevin Sutton wrote:

> I'd be curious if anyone else has this set, or the Beethoven or Mozart
> sets offered by Brilliant and what your opinions are.

It doesn't answer your question directly, but I do have the Brilliant
label set of the complete organ works of Cesar Franck (I think it sells
for about 30 euros for two CDs). The following information is in the
booklet:

'This recording was made at the Church of St. Eustache, Paris in June
and July, 1989. It is among the first recordings of the church's new van
den Heuvel organ ... An enormous instrument of 147 ranks, it offers not
only an extraordinary volume and power of sound, but also a huge range
of colours. ... Cesar Franck's organ works are particularly suited to
this instrument. ... In order to capture the organ's full palette of
sounds its enormous dynamic range, a sense of the church's acoustics and
a true spatial perspective, the most exacting minimal microphone techniques
were employed. ... SPECIAL NOTE: This recording presents the full
low-frequency information by the Great Organ of St. Eustache.  Specially
designed and modified recording equipment has been used so that no
low-frequency roll-off has been introduced at any stage. The low-frequency
content of the recording accurately reflects the actual range of the
instrument down to the open 32'pipes (producing a 16Hz fundamental). ...
On first hearing please exercise great caution in setting the volume to
establish a playback level that is safe for both of your equipment and
your hearing.'

This is the only CD I have with a warning! The technical quality of the
recording is stunning.

"Gerhard Griesel" <[log in to unmask]>