From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 18:40:22 +0100
Satoshi Akima <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>So too I have turned over in my mind who really does deserve the title
>of the greatest composer of all.  At times I suspect it may be JS Bach
>but all I have to do is listen to some Webern, Josquin de Prez, Isaac,
>or Boulez amongst so many and the today it becomes clear that the true
>'answer' is that the whoever asked the question was a fool.

I hope Dr Akima not will be flatering but I think this is wise.  How
can one compare a Bach fugue to a Haydn sonata or a Mahler symphony to a
Wagner opera, saying "this is better than that"? When there are som mcuh
beatutiful music, of all kinds, and all unique in its particular way.

What is musical talent? Do I have a more admirable musical talent if I can
compose a classic symphony than a full sized opera? nah...  In the process
of composing music there are so many different talents (or intelligenses if
you prefer) involved and working so it is impossible to say:  "he who has
these talent is greater than him (or her if you prefer)"...IQ is often
defined as ability to solve logical problems, still there are not always
the people who get the highest IQ quotes in tests who are masters on the
chessboard, and thats what I mean.  Also:  For the beauty of music is not
only in the composers product, it is also in the listeners ears.  And a
person with bad ear can compose a piece of music that is more appealing to
the listeners ear than one with perfect pitch.

For Beethoven had never achieved "Der Ring des Nibelungen", and Wagner
never the Eroica, for Mozart had never composed "Sinfonie der Tausend"
and Mahler never "Idomeneo".  And so all composers have their unique
personality and experiences (oh!  What am I saying), and no one is the
other alike (except Andreas Hallen to Rickard Wagner).

Just enjoying the nice weather and Janaceks Fox, whcih might bear some
answer on the subject...

Mats Norrman