From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 22:09:43 PDT
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>In the meantime, I'd be interested in any suggestions and/or
>recordings of Zelenka's choral works.

I have a few recordings of Zelenka's choral works, and the Requiem in D
on Claves conducted by Dahler is the best of them.  There's some gorgeous
music in this work, and the chamber orchestra and soloists put in a fine
preformance.  Another good piece is the Lamentationes Jeremiae Prophetae
which I have on a Hyperion cd.  Supraphon and Thorofon have also issued a
few choral recordings of Zelenka's.

Overall, I've become a little disenchanted with Zelenka over the years.
The Claves disc was my first exposure to his music, and subsequent Zelenka
works I bought just did not come up to that standard.  But, he's still a
fine baroque composer, definitely well above the pack.

"Donald Satz" <[log in to unmask]>