From:
Larry Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2005 19:16:39 -0600
Rick Mabry expresses the wish that conductors would say more about the
history of and the anectdotes surrounding the pieces that are performed.

Rick, I think there is a place for that kind of thing, although I am
confident there are people on this list who would cringe at the very
idea.  I have occasionally heard conductors address the audience at
formal concerts- I even recall hearing a traditionalist like Gene Ormandy
once reminisce from the podium about the career of a female cellist who
was retiring that evening- but it's a technique that should be used
sparingly in formal concerts.  One goes to a concert for the music (at
least I do, although I have my doubts about some in the audience), not
to hear some conductor hold forth (most of whom speak with funny accents
anyway).

Sometimes conductors, or other mavens, will give pre-concert lectures
that will address your wish, and I think that should be encouraged.  But
one should be cautious about undermining the music, which I think spoken
words during a concert are likely to do.  Bear in mind, it might be
difficult to give a talk that would hold the interest of a large percentage
of the audience.  What might be of interest to you and me could well
prove a distraction to, just to cite a name, Mimi Euzst.

Larry Sherwood