From:
Betty Weber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 14:02:10 -0600
I joined this group approximately two weeks ago.  Since that time I have
enjoyed reading the discussions.  It is great to assimilate opinions
regarding classical music.

That said, I would like to respond to the discussion about emotion in
music.

In art (whether it be music, visual art, dance, theatre, film, poetry, or
fiction) emotion is defined, not by the artist OR the listener/viewer, but
by BOTH.  The emotions one feels from any form of art are purely his/her
own.  These emotions may not necessarily be the same emotions that the
artist felt when composing the piece.  On the contrary, they don't have
to be.  When I compose a work of art(I do charcoal and computer-generated
abstractions) I put my emotions into it.  These emotions are emotions I
happen to be feeling at the time I am drawing.  These are not necessarily
the same emotions experienced by the viewer of my work.  This is as it
should be.  Art conveys emotion.  Whether that art be music, visual art,
dance, etc., each individual receives or feels unique emotions when
participating in the experience of the piece.  How wonderful this is!
Each of us is unique.  Should we expect our emotions connected to art
to be anything but unique as well?

Betty Weber