From:
"John G. Deacon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:50:12 +0100
I think Kevin slightly overrates the Jessye Norman version which, it is
true, was received to universal acclaim upon release but which, gradually,
has been found wanting and seems, no longer, to be spoken of in the same
terms.

But this glorious work does present a problem to record collectors because
one lone version in one's collection is simply not enough!

In my view one must have - or consider seriously - any or all of
the following: della Casa, the wonderful Sena Jurinac (with Busch),
Schwarzkopf (1st version, possibly the 2nd also - and even the RFH
broadcast with HvK), the lovely Popp (of course), Arlene Auger (memorable
- a beautiful performance).

It's entirely a matter of sentimentality, I admit, but the very sad and
premature loss of both Auger and Popp makes the experience of listening
to their recordings even more poignant.  With Jessye, I'm afraid, the
personality of the artist comes between me and the music.

John G. Deacon
Home page: www.ctv.es/USERS/j.deacon