From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 17:19:49 +0000
Given my traditional preferences, I've never concentrated on the music
of Max Bruch.  However, I heard a performance of his Violin Concerto No.
1 on the Internet and was impressed - very impressed.

At this point, the entire Bruch field of music is within my sights,
so I'd appreciate some feedback concerning favored recordings of his
works in any category.  I do have a couple of chamber music discs of his
from CPO that I acquired a few years ago, and I have started buying a
few discs of his Violin Concertos including the Accardo set on Philips.
But he has written symphonies, a double concerto, the Eight Pieces (never
heard them), etc., etc.,.  Also, the recordings of his 1st Violin Concerto
number over 50.  Will I have to buy all of them?  Can I refrain from
doing so?  I'll only have the money to do this for the next couple of
months, since I'm retiring in November.  So I need input now; later, all
I'll be able to buy is Turnabout cut-outs.  Well, I suppose it won't get
*that* bad.

Concerning Walton, I'm interested in his chamber music, concertos, and
symphonies.  I do already have whatever Naxos has put out of his works
in these categories.  If you feel inclined to bring up other British
composers, that's fine too: Britten, Elgar, Hurlstone, Bax,, etc.

Don Satz