From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 14:50:11 +0000
Christine Labroche writes:

>Sorry, I haven't but I can't resist the opportunity of asking what you
>think of the Prazak Quartet's interpretation of four of Dvorak's late
>string quartets: op.51 B92, op.96 B179, op.106 B 193, op.105 B193,
>- or of "inviting" you to listen... They are on Praga.

Of the four quartets listed by Christine, I'm only currently familiar with
the Prazak's Opus 106 recording as I've been using it for comparison with
the Pacifica Quartet's reading on Cedille.  On a preliminary basis, I much
prefer the Prague Quartet than either the Prazak or Pacifica; the last two
groups are too well-groomed for my tastes in this music.

I tend to feel the same way about the Prazak's recording of the Janacek
String Quartets; I'd like more drama, more edge, and more of an inter-war
sensibility.  I also have a couple of discs of the Prazak performing
Beethoven String Quartets but haven't listened intently to them yet.

Overall, I don't share at this point the high opinion of the Prazak
expressed by many reviewers and listeners.  That could change since
my impressions aren't yet set in concrete.

Don Satz