From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 21:01:50 -0600
"John G. Deacon" wrote:

>Under the heading "The great escape" the following letter, from one of the
>UK's foremost writers and critics, appeared in today's Daily Telegraph.
>
>It was with a great sense of relief... cancellation... Birtwistle's
>Gawain ...   Hundreds of children have had a narrow escape.... dreadful
>piece...put off the art of opera for life."

Couple of points in the discussion--it appears that Birtwhistle's music
appeals only to a relatively few fans, and its inclusion on the program
may have been politically motivated.  That's reason enough to cancel
the program.  Next point--I agree that young ears MAY be more receptive;
however my take on much atonal music is that you at least understand it
better if you have a broad musical background to start with.  The fact is
that we on the whole do not introduce complex atonal music to our children
even when we cultivate a taste for it.  All those who have abandoned tonal
music for an exclusive diet of atonal and 12-tone music, stand up and be
counted!  How many grade school kids do you know who compose atonal music?
Or sing it? I think you interest people in it AFTER they've committed to
serious musical study.  When I see otherwise happening I will change my
opinion on this.

I don't know and will not speak to Birtwhistle's music, but crap is crap,
and you don't need a lot of music training to tell the difference.  Just a
little maturity in general.  That's why they do need some informed adult
guidance in certain matters.

Chris Bonds