From:
Satoshi Akima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 00:49:01 +1000
Janos Gereben writes:

>There is a report that Giuseppe Sinopoli collapsed and died while
>conducting Aida in Berlin.
>
>I don't see confirmation yet, but do know that he's been very ill lately.

I was deeply saddened to read other reports confirming this:

   http://europe.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/europe/04/21/germany.conductor/

They report that he collapsed during Act 3 of Aida and was carried
unconscious to the Deutsches Herzzentrum (German Cardiac Center) but
was not successfully resuscitated.

What a huge loss to the music world.  I am stunned to hear it.

Satoshi Akima
Sydney, Australia