From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 09:34:40 PST
Otto Olsson (1879-1964) was a Swedish composer best known for his organ
and choral works which still receive frequent exposure in his native land.
Olsson's Symphony in G minor, Op.11, is his first orchestral work and
only symphony.  He wrote the work when he was 23 years old.  Being
conservatively trained, this youthful symphony is basically romantic in
nature.  It is a long work in four movements lasting 57 minutes.  Most
impressive, the 3rd movement Adagio lasts a whopping 23 minutes.  Two of
the movements, the 2nd and 4th, are fugues; Olsson had an affinity and
mastery of counterpoint.

The recording I have of Olsson's symphony is on Sterling CDS-1020-2 and
was recorded in 1996.  The work is conducted by Mats Liljefors who directs
the Gavleborg Symphony Orchestra which was founded in 1912.  I've had
this cd for about a year and was not initially impressed with the music.
I considered the work rather long-winded and a little too syrupy.  With
additional listenings, my estimation has increased.  This is an excellently
constructed composition, each movement well sustaining its length.  The
two fugue movements are propulsive, melodic, and exciting.  The Adagio
surprisingly does not wear out its welcome over its 23 minutes.  Although
none of the melodies are show-stoppers, they are consistently satisfying
and well developed.  The performances seem fine and recorded sound is good.

Don's Conclusion - Although not an essential purchase, this recording
should provide many pleasures for those who like conservative late-romantic
works out of the mainstream.

Don Satz