From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 16:06:50 PDT
Felix Delbruck wrote strongly:

>...fundamentally our views on art are nakedly subjective, and this
>sort of pompous claim to objectivity and reason is in my view dishonest,
>not to mention bloody irritating.

I agree with Felix that art is inherently subjective, but I wouldn't be
so hard on those who don't agree.  Many people have a strong need to have
order in their world.  Toward that end, they tend to dislike subjective
areas of life and attempt to objectify them.  We're all just doing the
best we can.  There likely are some objective areas in music, but folks
can never agree what they are.  For me, the "grey" areas of life are
very interesting and rewarding.  That's a fact, so don't question it.

Don Satz