From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 22:51:19 -0500
Daryl writes:

>The Entartete Musik (as coined by Hitler), or "Degenerate Music," series on
>Decca has proved to be a very interesting exploration that a lot of labels
>seem to shy away from.
>
>I would like to get my hands on a complete list of the series, but I cannot
>find a way to get in touch with the label.  ...

I have Waxman's Song of Terezin and found it very moving.  The question
leads to what could be a fascinating, if depressing, programming idea:
Musical Responses to Repression.  In addition to the above mentioned, I
would nominate two:

Messian's Quartet for the End of Time.

Luigi Nono's Il Canto Sospeso.  I found this piece an excellent companion
to the Waxman.  With the spoken quotations from doomed freedom fighters
achingly moving in their earnestness and freedom from the ironic
perspective which taints so many of our modern lives.

Ed