From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 19:33:13 PDT
I posted about two months ago on Tureck's new DG recording of the
Goldberg Variations.  I found them superbly played: total command,
full identification with the idiom, fantastic part playing, and a dry
sound which suits the performances perfectly.  Most impressive, Tureck
extensively used staccato, but I heard no choppiness or fragmentation of
line - just a coherent whole and a "flow" to kill for.  If she isn't the
"high priestess" of Bach keyboard playing, nobody is.

Now, Philips, as part of its Great Pianists series offers us Tureck's
late 1950's account of the Goldbergs recorded in England.  In addition,
she plays the French Overture, Italian Concerto, and the Four Duets.  Does
40 years make a big difference? Not in this case.  The older performance
is less austere and more poetic and nuanced.  The newer recording is more
commanding, mature, and provides better sound.  But, it's still Tureck and
the differences are not profound.

So, I find myself in a bit of a quandry.  I'm very glad to have both
versions, but I think that many listeners would consider having both
to be superfluous.

Don's conclusions

Tureck Fans - Both Versions - Must Buy.
Bach Fans   - DG            - Must Buy.