From:
Achim Breiling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 10:07:29 +0100
I wrote:

>>...  is this symphony-passion the *first* organ symphony or is there an
>>earlier one?

and Mats asked:

>Is Saint-Saens symphony nr.3 earlier?

Well my question was if Dupres symphony-passion is his first organ
symphony, or if he wrote an earlier one (sorry for being unspecific here).
Dupres works are from the middle-late 2ties.  Saint-Saens symphony nr.3 is
for organ and orchestra (I assume you mean that one, Mats), Dupres works
(on the disc I was refering to) are for organ alone (though there is also
a later symphony for organ and orchestra by Dupre).  I think one of the
first soloorgan-symphonic works is Cesar Franks grand piece symphonic.  The
first *real* soloorgan-symphonies are by Charles Widor, I think.  All this
started around 1860-1870.

Achim Breiling