From:
Ulvi Yurtsever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 14:21:43 -0500
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>When I read about Kahane, it immediately takes me back to his Nonesuch
>recording of Bach's 3-Part Inventions and the Partita, BWV 828.  He
>performs the Inventions very well, but the highlight is the best BWV 828
>I've ever heard on record - great sound, and a reading that brings out all
>the drama and excitement of the piece.

Yes, a great CD.  But Gould has more mystery in the long slow mvmnt (is
it the Sarabande?) of BWV 828.  This is a favorite mvmnt in that it's such
great music yet so easy to play that even I can play it (esp.  at Gould's
tempo:)

>Some of you might be wondering what in the world I'm doing back on the
>list when I signed off three days ago.  Well, last Saturday night I was
>listening to Goodman's RCA set of Schumann's symphonies.

Another great recording.  Glad to see it brought you back on the list.
When you add the Szell and Kubelik (both on Sony I think) sets to Goodman's
I think the Schumann symphonies are just about covered for eternity; it's
hard to see why any conductor would want to record them again in the face
of such competition.

Ulvi