From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 18:52:54 -0800
Thank you all for your input.  The Violin Concerto--lovely.  The Cello
Concerto--lyrical.  Haitink's Symphony #1--hmmm.

Before I nit-pick, I must say the Walton Symphony #1 is a
wowser--Bruckner's 10th reconstructed by Howard Hanson!  My problem with
Haitink's performance is that the exhilarating automaton-from-hell-like
finale of the first mov't is so slow that, for me, the tragic inevitability
becomes faintly humorous.

After the apex of the first mov't, (stratospheric trumpets and horns
sound awfully tired at this point), Walton presents his final musical idea,
(varied and intensified for around twenty 4/4 bars), breaks for a moment
with contrasting declamation, returns to the original idea for about eight
more bars, and finally arrives at the tonic, which is *also* extended for
a bit.  At Haitink's slow speeds....

For comparison I was lucky enough to find Andre Previn's Telarc recording
for $3.99 very soon after my initial EMI purchase.  Although the recording
is a little recessed, the first mov't now makes total sense at Previn's
speeds, (for my ears), and the symphony has since become one of my favorite
recent discoveries.

John Smyth