From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 20:08:19 +1100
Kevin Sutton wrote:

>As a conductor I never, absolutely never, learn a score at the keyboard
>or via a recording.  I sit at my desk in a silent room and "hear" every
>thing on the page by looking at the score.

I'm not nitpicking or trying to score points, but there must be a lot of
music which is familiar to you through having heard it in live performance,
recordings or both, but which you have either not conducted or read or
both.  Are you able to dissociate what you have learned of the music in
this way when you read a score, or isn't this important to the process
you describe?

Richard Pennycuick