From:
Ramon Khalona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 18:24:46 -0500
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I haven't determined yet whether I want Bruckner heavy, light, or at all.
>I'm trying to get a handle on this and have bought some of the recordings
>highly thought of by list members, Rattle's 7th, some of Tinter's
>recordings, one by Norrington, and am thinking about Harnoncourt.

Rattle and Norrington will almost certainly drive you away from Bruckner.
If you want to try things out without breaking the bank, I would suggest
Tintner (Naxos) and Skrowaczewski (Arte Nova).  Not only are they
inexpensive, but they offer complementary approaches with Tintner favoring
an expressive, expansive (but never dull) approach and Skrowaczewski a
leaner, quicker paced approach.  Once you find what you like better, you
can go for the "biggies" (Furtwangler, Jochum, Schuricht, Van Beinum,
Haitink, Wand, Celi, etc.)

Ramon Khalona
Carlsbad, California