From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 09:32:09 -0500
Kevin Tuite wrote:

>Two questions, if I may: Can any of you recall a similar incident,
>where a musician won in competition despite a major flub or restart20
>Also, since the readings of the Shostakovich A-minor that I heard this
>week were so different (and two of them at least struck me as legitimate
>interpretations, not just consequences of the candidates' limitations),
>I would like to know what other recordings members of the list would
>suggest, to complement the Oistrakh of a half-century ago?

While I have nothing to offer in response to your questions, I wonder
if the memory indeed, as you suggested, fired the soloist's emotion and
gave the audience something it might not have heard in a long time...a
situation where emotion was equal to the rational thinking of the
performance...something I find lacking in most performances these days.

Karl (who is not of the thinking that the performer's major role is to
let the music speak for itself)