From:
Jane Erb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 17:47:01 -0700
Jeff Dunn says:

>Jane Erb brought up one of my favorite "difficult" pieces, the Prokofiev
>#2.  I despaired for years as recording after recording, including
>Ashkenazy's, failed to carry the first movement cadenza without fudging
>or slopping somewhere.
>
>Finally, to my joy, Yefim Bronfman did it right.  Perhaps others have
>since, but I, clutching his CD, whatever the merits of his handling of
>the rest of the movements, have looked no further.

I agree - he really does it right.  And he makes it look easy!  He's no
mean shakes on another which received several mentions as one of the most
difficult, Balakirev's Islamey.

This summer in Aspen, his tour de force will be both Brahms piano concertos
in one night.  Should be well worth hearing!

Jane Erb