From:
Stirling S Newberry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 21:16:22 -0400
Don Syaz wrote:

>Stirling Newberry wrote:
>
>>If someone where to say "Beethoven is was a hack." or "Stravinski
>>was a hack" - the correct way to respond would be to point o various
>>sections of music would rise about hackery, which illuminate and
>>show more than merely chugging through the notes.
>
>There is no one "correct" way to respond.  If Marcus had simply said, "I
>think highly of Benjamin", there's nobody to prove that response incorrect.
>The standards people develop are best applied to themselves.

Well Mr.  Satz, of course.  But people have thought highly of many bad
artists and even bad people.  There are many people out there who think
that L Ron Hubbard is the savior of mankind.  Many people thought highly of
Lenin, of Hitler, of any other person of importance.  Of course one cannot
dispute "I think highly" - it is merely whehter one can draw an conclusion
from that of general interest which I dispute.

Organisations don't run because people in them hate each other, on the
contrary, any organisation - from the ladies sewing circle of the Baptist
church to the Aryan Nation is generally a hot bed of mutual admiration.
But such testimonials mean something only to straw men from Oz.

Stirling S Newberry