From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 14:40:43 +1000
Don Satz asked:

>Are any of you familiar with Fesca's compositions, and would you label
>Fesca a romantic, a classicist, or perhaps too diverse to label at all?

Tough call, Don.  I have the Septet #1 in C Minor on a 1972 Turnabout
LP coupled with one by Hummel.  Both composers inhabit that transitional
twilight period between classical and Romantic, and I've always had trouble
coming up with a satisfactory label for it, always assuming that giving it
one is a worthwhile exercise.  The notes say that Fesca used the Schubert
Trout Quintet as a model, but to my ears, the music is stylistically more
like Beethoven than anyone, with some touches of Mendelssohn in some of
the piano writing.  I just played my LP to reacquaint myself with it and
it sounded a little scratchy, which suggests a CD might be needed...

Richard Pennycuick