From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 09:09:14 -0500
Don Satz:

>It will be interesting to see whether John or I report on it first and
>if our impressions are similar.  But, there's always Steve Schwartz who I
>think indicated a desire to get the Rattle version.  Steve, where are you?

No, that was for the Stabat mater, but a Shaw CD came out in the meantime.
I haven't done a detailed comparison but will.

I've known the opera King Roger for more than 20 years - there was a Polish
LP on the Muza label, I believe.  I have never warmed to it, although
Szymanowski's late works almost always move me.  In fact, unless I read
somebody over-the-top in enthusiasm over the new recording, I'll stick with
my LP.  On the other hand, there are those who think King Roger one of the
composer's most beautiful works, which is saying something.

Steve Schwartz