From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 18:06:12 PST
This is an older thread that I'm bringing back to life because of a
review I just read in American Record Guide.  You might remember that
I reviewed Schepkin's recording on Ongaku in stages a few months ago.  I
was enthralled with the interpretations, particularly since they caused my
little brain to conjure up all sorts of images which led to stories.  Since
that time, I've read reviews which were highly complimentary and others
which were lukewarm.  But the ARG review is about the most vicious and
negative review I have had the oportunity to read.

Some of the scathing remarks were:

   completely superfluous - superficial - flippant - empty of substance
   - utterly at variance with the spirit of the music.

That's the big thumbs down, I guess.  The Fanfare reviewer thought it was
the best ever piano version with the possible exception of Feinberg's.

The funny thing about this is that I didn't think Schepkin's was an odd or
very unusual interpretation.  It was just better than most, more incisive
and exhibiting a strong profile of the emotions involved.  And the man can
play the piano.  He's got the tools, the judgement, and the insight.

Do any other list members have the Schepkin recording?  I'd be very
interested in your opinions.

Don Satz