From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 22:28:43 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>As it happens, I've started reviewing seventeen versions of the Art of
>Fugue; I'm almost done with the four "simple" fugues which will constitute
>Part I of my review.  It's fantastic music.  Take Contrapunctus II: many
>folks feel it's rather unmusical and relentless.

I hope Don will include Janos Rolla's version w/ the Liszt Ferenc Chamber
Orchestra (Hungaroton 12818-11-2 in his reviews.  If he does, I hope he
reviews it favorably.  I've liked everything I've heard from Rolla and this
ensemble.  I think they play the Art of the Fugue with sureness that gives
it the dignity it deserves without sounding "relentless" as Don describes
another performance.

Walter Meyer