From:
Aaron Rabushka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 17:21:29 -0500
Having just finished a minor study on the Schumann symphonies I can
honestly say that there is much more there than pretty romantic froth.
For more in-depth analysis of his work I would suggest the Schumann
biographies of Taylor and Daverio.  Peter Ostwald's book is also good
although it focuses more on personality issues (Ostwald is a psychiatrist)
than the music.  I'm sure that those who read German have even more to pick
from.  It's surprising that there isn't a Schumann movie in the works since
his life (to say nothing of some of the speculation about it) has many of
the necessary box-office ingredients:  passionate romance, a disapproving
in-law, and mental illness leading to attempted suicide.

Aaron J. Rabushka
"just" a composer in Cowtown who enjoys an occasional Spohr clarinet
concerto every now and then
http://www.cowtown.net/users/arabushk/