From:
Christopher Webber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 18:37:34 +0100
Tony Duggan writes:

>And Malcolm Arnold even won an Oscar (for "The Bridge On The River
>Kwai") which is more than BB and WW ever did.

Hmm. An interesting gauge of achievement.

Walton ought to have won at least one for either "Henry V" or "Richard
III".  He was indeed nominated for "Hamlet" in 1948 (when Brian Easdale's
"The Red Shoes" won) and "Henry V" two years earlier, when it went to
"The Best Years of Our Lives" (Hugo Friedhofer).

If you've heard Britten's Score for the "Night Mail" film that should
give some pause for thought, too ... personally I'd much rather spend
time with any of these than "Bridge Over the River Kwai".

Christopher Webber, Blackheath, London, UK
http://www.zarzuela.net
"ZARZUELA!" The Spanish Music Site