From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2008 11:24:46 -0700
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]> mentioned Jeff Dunn's review in SFCV:

> http://www.sfcv.org/2008/07/22/rediscovering-a-norweigan-master/
>
>  Rediscovering a Norwegian Master
>  By Jeff Dunn / SFCV.org / 7-22-08
>
>  ...Last month I witnessed an unusual spectacle: the Bergen
>  Music Festival in Norway. After three or four curtain calls,
>  clapping in unison began and, as if by prearranged signal,
>  everyone stood at once in enthusiastic acknowledgement. The
>  orchestra that did the playing was the visiting Stavanger
>  Symphony Orchestra conducted by Ole Kristian Ruud.  The
>  music that did the arousing was a new "reconstruction" of
>  the /Julekvelden/ (Yule Eve) Symphony No. 1 by Geirr Tveitt.

Knowing that Tveitt seemed to have completed three numbered symphonies,
I was also very eager to hear that reconstructed piece.  Original it is,
beyond any doubt.  The harmonic fabric is gritty, uncompromising.  The
textures are at once lean, terse, and lively.

Whether it is as immediately, exhilaratingly persuasive as Prillar in
g is another question.  I found it more intriguing, captivating indeed,
than really convincing.  It would probably benefit from repeated hearings.
However, no matter my small reservations, this is an important rediscovery
and definitely deserves a commercial recording under Ole Kristian Ruud's
baton.

Another Norwegian piece I would love to hear is Arvid Kleven's Sinfonia
libera.  Maybe some composer will find the motivation to complete it.
"Lotusland" is a magical tone poem.  Few orchestral pieces are so moving
and mesmerizing at the same time - Busoni's Berceuse Elegiaque, Schreker's
Kammersymphonie come to mind.

Best wishes,

Thanh-Tam Le