From:
Tim Horwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:50:55 -0000
Elizabeth Gnidovec wrote:

>My perceptions are as follows: standing ovations are more common
>with the presence of a composer or solo-ist.

I used to go to the opera a lot, the London Coliseum being a regular
venue. I remember a new work where the composer appeared at the end.
I was sitting in the upper circle and could see down into the dress
circle below.  The audience there refused to clap and just stared back
at the composer and singers on stage.  The principle singers folded their
arms and looked annoyed and stared back.  At the same time we in the
upper circle applauded the female chorus / dancers who easily had the
best music and bowed to us.  The contrast between the various groups was
rather amusing though the British composer (whose name I have mercifully
forgotten) must of wished he had stayed at home.

Tim Horwood