From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 09:03:23 -0800
Ray Bay ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>For me, Art of the Fugue is wonderful music, but not for every day.  I
>have performances in Cello, Harpsichord, Orchestra, Piano, Jazz ensemble,
>and Chamber orchestra.  My favorites are the piano and cello versions.
>Sometimes Gould is the only performance I can listen to.  Other times only
>other pianists will serve the day.

My favourite AOF bar none is Hermann Scherchen's orchestrated version,
which he recorded for Westminster in 1965 (MCA Millenium Classics).
There is also the live Toronto performance on TAHRA.

For a different take on AOF William Malloch's The Art of Fugueing is
a real gem which I only discovered recently - the things he does with
Contrapunctus IX (IX?) have to be heard to be believed.

Deryk Barker