From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 05:59:30 -0500
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The disc also includes a Carwithen sonata for violin and piano featuring
>Lydia Mordkovitch who seems to get uniformly bad reviews in U.S.
>magazines.  She does tend to have an obsession with vibrato.

Well, I'd say that her English concerto series speaks rather highly of her
stylistic insight, and that she generally avoids the pathos which affects
quite a few Russian violinists in non-Russian repertoires.  Her recording
of the Busoni Violin Sonata No. 2 is very fine as well (although my own
unrecorded version is quite different:-}).  Naturally her Prokofiev and
Chostakowitch recordings are worth hearing, and got excellent reviews here.
Vibrato definitely is an issue which seems to discriminate American and
European tastes.  Actually I can only think of one recording of hers which
I really did not like (I dont know all of them), and that was Brahms Violin
Sonata No. 2 with Gerhard Oppitz.

Best wishes,

Thanh-Tam Le