From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 21:22:57 -0400
Daniel Paul Horn said:

>I don't think it was a question with Bach of throwing one or another class
>of instruments into the trash, but of constantly exploring all available
>possibilities.  It's what I've been doing lately in switching back and
>forth between modern and period pianos.  I grow in my playing and general
>musicianship by learning from both, and can't dispense with either.

Three cheers for your musicianship, Daniel!!!

Let me take a minute to holler my praises about Daniel's gorgeous
recording of the Mendelssohn Fantasy in F-sharp Minor, Op. 28, the Fantasy
on an Irish Song, Op. 15, The Three Fantasies or Caprices, op. 16, and the
Schubert Fantasy in C Minor, d. 2e, The Fantasy in C Major D.605a, and the
Wanderer Fantasy in C Major, d. 760.  They were all recorded on the Conrad
Graf Fortepiano, and the cd is Titanic TI 236.  Daniel wrote the program
notes, and if you look carefully, you'll find a good picture of him inside
the booklet.  The total time is one hour and seventeen minutes!  Very
generous.  And every minute is a treat.

It took me a few minutes to get used to the different sound of this
instrument, but once I did, I started to appreciate the differences.  It's
so wonderful to live in an age where we can hop back and forth from HIP to
modern.  I don't have to pick one over another because I have them all.

Run out and buy this cd. Terrific music, played beautifully.

Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>