From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:41:01 -0400
Beth Krakower wrote:

>a... press release to the [MCML] group.

...claiming the birth of nothing short of (no tittering, please)...

>...a musical love affair destined to entrance legions of new admirers for
>von Otter, while dazzling loyal Costello fans alike.

I'm not at all sure about the last half of this assurance.  Closer to
dazzling for me is Costello's recent double CD of his best-ever music
(not 'hits,' mind you: he hasn't yet had a hit).

>...von Otter has recorded songs by legendary artists including The Beach
>Boys, ABBA, Tom Waits and Elvis Costello of course.

A Beatles song's also on this CD: 'For no one'; among Paul McCartney's
very best.  There's also at least one McCartney/McManus (aka Costello)
song: 'So Like Candy.' Another gem in the original.

>In addition to arranging and producing  For the Stars, Costello can also be
>heard singing and playing various instruments on several tracks.

Not half enough of EC singing, to my liking: too much sweetness and light;
not caustic enough.  This CD's very much Otter at centre-stage.  'Still
regard EC's 1998 CD with Burt Bacharach his best collaboration yet: a
beaut blend of smooth and stark.

Aside from her provenance, none of this, of course, has to do with CM.  For
a full album of this one must go to 'The Juliet Papers': Costello/Brodsky
Quartet.  Not crazy about it: Costello's heartfelt wailing's *too*
front-and-centre for me.  Go figure.

(All IMHO, of course.)

Bert Bailey