From:
"Stephen E. Bacher" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 07:40:05 -0500
Laurence Glavin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Paul Koning of New Boston, NH wrote:
>
>  Toyota has been running TV ads for an SUV.  The classical music
>  has been a nice touch, but it's from Verdi's "Requiem", a mass
>  for the dead.  I suspect only a few of the audience will spot
>  this, but won't those few be dismayed?
>
>From the description, it might have been the slam-bang "Te Deum" section,
>which doesn't seem all that compatible with the irenic scenes described.

I heard it recently, and I think it was the "Dies Irae" section, though
my memory may be faulty.

Shades of Microsoft's use of "Confutatis" from Mozart's Requiem, the
subject of many knowing jibes on the Internet.

Did not Toyota also use Sly and the Family Stone's "Everyday People" in
an earlier campaign?  I always felt Toyota's use of "Everyday" as a tag
was misguided; in essence they are calling their cars (or their target
market) "mundane, ordinary, predictable, dull".  Is that the image they
want?

 - seb