From:
Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 15:16:03 -0800
Roy Voscina wrote:

>I am fairly new to classical music and have alot to learn.  Any comments on
>Russell Sherman, pianist on the GM Recordings label.  He has three 2-cd
>volumes of Beethoven Sonatas.  Any comments?

He made a big impression on piano friends here when he performed a recital,
and it was one of the highlights of the year.  Otherwise he is known for
strong readings with a dollop of preciousness, as he takes unusual time
with some aspects that others go straight through.  He doesn't have the
strongest technique (anymore) on recordings but was a winner of a large
competition, after which he turned down several offers of concerts as he
wanted more time to study/research.  Still, he has performed with many
symphony orchestras and received some raves in reviews, and his first
volume or two of the Beethoven made NY Times's Top 10 of the year for
their substance.  He teaches at New England Conservatory of Music

For my taste, his takes on these sonatas are so interesting that I am
buying them all.  Those who prize Schnabel among all will not be likely
to enjoy these much, but I'm not one of them.  Very thought-filled
performances but they can irk those who want more straightforward and 'less
fussy' readings.  His penchant for rather pretentious writing (in brochures
and books) will also put some off.  But I love to hear him.

Andrys in Berkeley
http://www.andrys.com/books.html
Search sheet music, videos, CDs, books