From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:38:42 +0200
Jeffrey Hall wrote:

>...  Instead of your favorite pieces, what are your favorite movements?

I'm a sucker for laments:  for instance the second movement of Beethoven's
op.59(3) or the second movement of Schumann's op.44.  Both have been
butchered by manyu famous musicians ;) I think the Guarneri (first cycle)
do the Beethoven just the way I want to hear it and Schumann is done very
well by Rubinstein/Guarneri and Serkin/Budapest Qt.  Just random choices
really as a few dozen others spring to mind now...  About the Schumann:
I have a lot of versions but have never found the following:
Gabrilowitsch/Fonzelay Qt., Lebed/Lener Qt., Curzon/Budapest Qt.  and Myra
Hess who recorded it with a quartet including Isaac Stern & Alexander
Schneider.  If anyone could put me on to these, I'd be a happy man.  Well,
I'm happy anyway ;)

Philip