From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:53:36 -0700
First, I'd like to thank all those who wrote both to the list and privately
in many cases I have them already, and sadly (or not, depending on how
you look at it) bought them at full price.  Heck, my collection passed
7,000 CDs some time ago, so one could reasonably say I have no business
buying more, but I just have this insatiable need (obsession, compulsion,
what have you...) to hear new music, or at least music that's new to me.

Roger Hecht wrote:

>I could go on for hours and don't know where to start.  It would be
>easier to go from a starting point of interest, though I suspect you're
>trying to stimulate conversation???

I admit I had (and have) ulterior motives.  Stimulating conversation is
always a good thing.  But the question was an honest one.  I probably
would have bought both Erdmann and Tiessen but I feel more comfortable
ordering them now.

Karl Miller asked:

>so how much money did you want to spend...

As little as possible.:-)

Seriously though, this economy has kicked my butt.  I've had to take a
75% cut in pay, and can barely make ends meet, but at least a couple of
times a year I have to make a pass through Berkshire or I feel like I'm
missing everything.  I really splurged this time, and have 38 CDs in my
order.  Here are few of the more interesting items:

Baermann {1810-1855} The School of Romantic Clarinet Playing: 24 Duos for
Clarinet and Piano 3-6748-2-KOCH/SCHWANN

I'm a sucker for clarinet music...

Gounod String Quartets 1-3 Quatuor Danel   V 4798-VALOIS

And an even bigger sucker for string quartets...

Eberl {1765-1807} Piano Concerto Op.32, Piano Sonata Op.1
3-6763-2-KOCH/SCHWANN

I only know him from some short works for harp.

Bonporti Concerti Op.11 #6-10   PV 790094-PIERRE VERANY

I have as much Bonporti as I can find.  He's one of my favorite Baroque
composers, though I'm hard pressed to say exactly why.  Something about
the melodic flow of his concertos never seems to fail to fascinate.

Tournemire Symphonies 5 & 8    V 4793-VALOIS

I have all the symphonies but #6 & 8, so this will plug a hole.
Symphonies #2 through 8 are available through Berkshire.  Highly
recommended for lovers of impressionistic, polymodal works in a
somewhat more serious vein than Debussy.

Myaskovsky Symphonies 9 & 20     OCD 739-OLYMPIA

Olympia's series of Myaskovsky's symphonies have been appearing
at Berkshire, and have been recommended before.  This is that latest.
Though I have all the others too, I've been slow to warm to them.  His
13 quartets have made a bigger impression, so I also decided to give the
complete piano sonatas a try:

Myaskovsky Complete Piano Sonatas     OCD 704-OLYMPIA

Demachy Pieces de Violle {Paris 1685}: Suites 1 3 & 4   E7746-ASTREE

Nothing like curling up with some music for viola da gamba, and few play
it as well as Savall.

Gibbs Armstrong {1889-1960}- Music for String Orchestra    CDA 67093-HYPERION

I enjoyed the symphonies on Marco Polo, so what the heck?

Haydn Symphonies 48-50 (The Hanover Band/Goodman)  CDA 66531-HYPERION

Goodman's way with Haydn has always appealed a great deal, though I know
this is far from a universal appraisal.  This plugs a hole, and who can
resist Hyperion's sound?

Simpson Symphony #10       CDA 66510-HYPERION
Simpson Symphonies 2 & 4   CDA 66505-HYPERION

I have yet to find a lot to like in Simpson (I find the string quartets
ghastly...) but here's to keeping on trying!

Casella Concerto Op.56 for Piano Violin Cello &
Orchestra   3-6725-2-KOCH/SCHWANN

Recommended by several...

Milhaud Symphonies 10-12    999354-2-CPO

Finally I get to complete my set!

Roussel Piano Concerto Op.36; Concertino for Cello & Orch, etc. V 4846-VALOIS

Roussel's piano concerto?  Now how did I miss that?

Castelnuovo-Tedesco The Complete Chamber Music for Guitar  V 4789-VALOIS

I have Segovia's recording of the guitar quintet, but nothing else.

Rozsa Sinfonia Concertante Op.29; Concerto for Viola Op.37
3-7304-2-KOCH/SCHWANN

Rozsa's best known for his film scores, but the orchestral music is quite
good too, and rightly recommended by several listmembers.  Koch's series
is a treasure.

Stevens, Bernard Cello Concerto; A Symphony of Liberation   CDE 84124-MERIDIAN

Stevens seems to be a favorite, though I was less impressed with his
piano concerto.  I guess it's time to give him another try.  And at $3
how can I resist, especially when Alexander Baillie is such a terrific
cellist?

Holmboe String Quartets 10-12. (The Kontra Quartet)...
8.224101-MARCO POLO

I have all the symphonies and chamber concertos.  Holmboe is definitely
a 20th century master, so it's time to try the chamber music too.

McCabe {b.1939} Flute Concerto; Symphony #4   CDA 67089-HYPERION

Recommended by several.

Arnold Concerto for Viola & Chamber Orch.; Serenade; 'Larch Trees'
CDCF 211-CONIFER

I have lots of Arnold, but somehow missed this one.

Ghedini  Musica Concertante for Cello & Orchestra 3-1782-2-KOCH/SCHWANN

Likewise recommended by several respondents, and who am I to argue.

So, thanks again for all the great suggestions.  You all really helped me
stretch my limited budget.

Dave
http://www.classical.net/