From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 18:56:48 -0800
Philip Peters ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Thomas Heilman wrote:
>
>Deryk Barker replied:
>>
>>>... Furtwaengler, Jochum and Horenstein.
>>
>>... Abendroth, Schuricht, and Knappertsbusch.
>
>No disagreement.  But also: Tintner, Celibidache (yes, I know he is *slow*
>and I like it)

Oh there are others too (2 Jochums for starters, Asahina).  I have
decidedely mixed feelings about Celi; he only got *really* slow in his
last decade or so (his time at Munich?) - there are extant Bruckner
recordings from the 70s with far more conventional tempos.

I need to be in the right frame of mind for SC's Bruckner.  In that
fra,me of mind it strikes me as penetrating and profound.

In the wrong frame of mind I sit there thinking "why don't you just *get
on with it*?" and even once took off the 7th before the end of the 1st
movement (this is something I almost never do).

Deryk Barker