From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 00:23:13 +0000
Fred Maroth on my review of the Novaes Preludes on Music & Arts:

>I'm the executive producer of the CD, and I don't disagree with any of
>Don Satz's statements--but he could have pointed out that in view of the
>wretched sound of 1/2 of the set, the retail price is "2 for 1"!!

Goodness, I didn't expect a response from an executive producer, and Mr.
Maroth is certainly warranted in pointing out the "2 for 1" pricing.

I wasn't even thinking about price at the time of the review, because
I felt the set's appeal is for serious collectors of historical piano
recordings, not budget-minded consumers.  Thinking about price at this
moment, I can't disregard that Vox has a 3-cd set of Novaes playing
Chopin(nocturnes, etudes, and 3rd piano sonata) which is priced slightly
less than the Music & Arts 2-cd set.  For me, these two sets are
complimentary to one another; I even bought them at the same time.
Also, I'm quite glad that both sets are at discounted prices.

Most important is the artistry of Guiomar Novaes which shines through
in both sets.  She was one of the great Chopin performing artists of the
20th century, and any record of her musical accomplishments is worth
serious consideration.

Don Satz