From:
Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 11:48:37 -0400
Having read Tony Duggan's thoughtful and fascinating review at the
Classical Music on the Web site of the Colorado Mahlerfest Orchestra's
recording under Robert Olson of the Wheeler completion of Mahler's 10th
(thanks Tony for this and the great ongoing survey), I was wondering what
our other Mahler sage, Deryk Barker, has to say about this performance
and completion.  As it is I only own and have only heard the Wigglesworth
recording of the Deryck Cooke version that came with an issue of BBC Music.
Tony's description of Wheeler's orchestrational approach makes this new one
sound appealing to me.  Mr. Barker...?

(To kiss further butt, I referred to Deryk's Mahler survey constantly when
I started really exploring M.  for the first time, and it was a huge boon.
My great ambition is to, one day when I'm older and wiser, construct
something similar for Sibelius' oeuvre)

Jon Lewis