From:
Tim Dickinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 22:51:16 -0400
Arts organizations, including symphony orchestras, are struggling for
survival and yet some worry about people who applaud classical music.
This topic has reared its head in this thread by people who describe
the associated performances as "great" and "fine".  Hello?  *This* is
a problem?!?!?

If I attend a sporting event, I stand and cheer when a touchdown, run,
or goal is scored by my team.  And when I attend a musical performance
that I honestly enjoy, I stand and applaud.  If I don't enjoy it, I don't
stand (though I don't begrudge those that do).  But I like most musical
performances that I attend, which is why I go in the first place.

Even if audiences stand after virtually every performance, as is the
case in Atlanta where I live, it doesn't necessarily follow that their
response is meaningless.  There are still quite distinguishable differences
in reaction from performance to performance, and I would be confident
that the performers can accurately gauge the relative degree of approval.

If you don't feel that a performance merits a standing O, by all means
keep your seat.  But don't look down your nose at those standing and
clapping - contemplate instead the empty seats next to them.  You should
hope for more of us non-discerning philistines.

Tim Dickinson